The Nasdaq-100 rallied in May, and TradeStation clients played the move with several stocks and exchange-traded funds.
Seven of the 10 most popular symbols on our platforms this month traded on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange or tracked its index. Some were new to the list.
ProShares UltraPro QQQ (TQQQ) stood out the most, shooting from No. 8 to No. 3. TQQQ is a leveraged ETF designed to give triple the move of the Nasdaq-100 index.
Another big mover was Moderna (MRNA). Hopes of a coronavirus vaccine drove the biotechnology stock to ninth on the list from 24th in April.
Semiconductor innovator Nvidia (NVDA) also returned to the top 10 for the first time this year.
Here’s the complete list for May:
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY): The market-tracking fund held the top spot for the third straight month.
- Tesla (TSLA): The electric-car maker held second place
- ProShares UltraPro QQQ (TQQQ): The leveraged ETF rose five positions versus April.
- General Electric (GE): The volatile industrial firm slid one spot.
- Amazon.com (AMZN): The e-commerce giant rose two notches
- Apple (AAPL): The iPhone maker held its position from April.
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD): The chip stock edged down from fifth place.
- Nvidia (NVDA): The semiconductor firm rose from 13th in April.
- Moderna (MRNA): The biotechnology firm rose 15 spots to enter the list.
- Ford Motor (F): The debt-laden automaker dropped from fourth place in April.
The following symbols exited the top 10:
- Boeing (BA): The aerospace giant inched down from ninth in April to 12th in May.
- Microsoft (MSFT): The software maker dropped from tenth in April to 17th in May.