Register for Market Trends here.
Sizing Up the S&P 500
- S&P 500 stayed 3 points above August 2022 high so far this week
- Momentum slowing but members above 20-day MAs still exceed members above 50-day MAs
- Rotation under the surface as more companies under $100bln of market cap make new 52-week highs
- S&P 500’s move is relatively extended with index up in 6 of last 7 weeks but no reversal patterns are evident
- Transports gaining, potential “Dow Theory” signal
- April 21, 2022, high of 4513 may remain in play
- Carnival (CCL) earnings, revenue beat estimates
- Vertical call spread followed the report
- Consumer confidence jumps to 17-month high as views of current situation improves
- Generac (GNRC) gains amid Texas grid worries
- Nvidia (NVDA) drops as The Wall Street Journal reports on potential export restrictions
- Micron Technology (MU) earnings, revenue beat
- Crude-oil inventories -9.6mln barrels vs -1.757mln estimate
- SPR lowest since July 1983
Mover of the Week: Zillow Group (Z & ZG)
- Real-estate marketing stock jumps as housing comes to life
- Earnings, revenue and guidance surprised to the upside on May 3
- Z +63% YTD
- Still down about 75% from 2021 high
- Z= non-voting shares
- ZG=voting shares
- Discovered using last week’s “non-index runners” scan.
- Similar companies: EXPI, RDFN
- Friday (6/30): PCE inflation
- Monday (7/3): ISM Manufacturing
- Tuesday (7/4): Market losed
- Wednesday (7/5): OPEC meeting
- Thursday (7/6): ADP payrolls, initial jobless claims
A Floor Under Crude?
Leveraged Cyclicals in Focus
- Interest costs are fixed, allowing potential leverage if operations improve.
- Non-recessionary “soft landing” can support demand. That can help pricing and margins.
- Eventual peaking of interest rates can reduce interest expense in coming years.
- Investors see potential double-benefit of margins and credit
- Recent examples:
- Cruise ships: CCL, RCL, NCLH
- Airlines: AAL, UAL, DAL
- Rental cars: CAR, HTZ
- Is the opposite process working on consumer staples like GIS?
Using the Platform
Find leveraged cyclicals:
- EV/MktCap custom indicator: Higher values = more leverage. Results must be sorted by sector because banks have leveraged business model.
- EV/MktCap can be used in RadarScreen (see “MT Main” workspace: “fundamentals” tab) and Scanner
- Potential Scan Criteria:
- Indicator → EV/MktCap > 2 (finds leveraged stocks)
- Indicator → Sector <> “” (displays sector)
- Price → Last > Indicator → MovAvg 1 Line (Length = 50) (finds stocks above 50-day MA)
- Price → %Chg → %Chg (5 day) < 10 (hides stocks up 10%+ in last week)
Security futures are not suitable for all investors. To obtain a copy of the security futures risk disclosure statement Investment and Trading Disclosures Booklet – Futures.
Exchange Traded Funds (“ETFs”) are subject to management fees and other expenses. Before making investment decisions, investors should carefully read information found in the prospectus or summary prospectus, if available, including investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. Click here to find the prospectus.
Options trading is not suitable for all investors. Your TradeStation Securities’ account application to trade options will be considered and approved or disapproved based on all relevant factors, including your trading experience. See Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options.