Sizing Up the S&P 500
- 50-day MA nearing “Golden Cross” vs 200-day MA
- 2022 bearish trendline broken
- Breadth: Advance/decline line highest since August
- Sector mix: “risk-on” cyclicals leading, safe-havens lagging.
- Intermarket: Dollar index lowest since April
- Intermarket: VIX trending lower, under 20
- Intermarket: 10-year Treasury yield breaking 3.4 percent
- Flashback (10/10): Paul Tudor Jones watching two-year rates as stock market signal.
Key Economic News:
- Jerome Powell: “We are now in disinflation. That’s great.”
- 2 more payroll reports, 2 more CPI before March 22 meeting & dot plot.
- Congressional testimony in late February.
- Powell will have opportunities to adjust message before next big move.
- OPEC+: Cartel’s “nothing burger” hits crude oil.
- What happens to inflation if oil keeps sliding?
- IMF raises global growth outlook as China reopens
Key Earnings News
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD): Data centers still strong.
- PC weak, but IDC and Canalys see that market recovering.
- Meta Platforms (META): Zuckerberg refocuses
- Revenue beats, core business upgrades planned.
- Metaverse sidelined, capex plans cut 10-15%
- American Express (AXP): Strong guidance despite earnings miss
- Other financials like COF, DFS gained despite loan-loss provisions
- Is market looking past fear of “default wave?”
- Industrials: Infrastructure investment continues, economic confidence.
- Caterpillar (CAT): Revenue beats by 5%. Stock falls on cost pressures.
- Otis Worldwide (OTIS): Revenue beats
- Pentair (PNR): Earnings, revenue beat
- Old Dominion Freight Line (ODFL): Beats estimates, raises dividend
- Homebuilders: PulteHome (PHM) earnings & revenue beat. Orders fall but what happens if mortgage rates fall?
- Healthcare: Safe havens shunned
- Pfizer (PFE): Revenue misses as business slows post-Covid.
- Amgen (AMGN): Revenue beats narrowly amid heavy selling
Leaders & Laggards
- Growth stocks reclaiming leadership over value
- Chinese tech stocks, semiconductors among top performers this year
- Airlines, homebuilders outperforming
- Energy starting to lag after strong 2022
- Only negative sector in trailing 3 months
- “Safety plays” lag: Utilities, healthcare, consumer staples
- Only negative sectors in 2023
- AngloGold Ashanti (AU): Touches bottom of Keltner Channel
- In Scanner: Price → Low < Indicator → Keltner Channel → LowerBand
- Alibaba (BABA), Freeport McMoRan (FCX), Gold Fields (GFI) pullbacks
- 8-day EMA > 21-day EMA
- 8-day EMA > 50-day MA
- %Chg 5 (5 Day) < -3
- Delta Air Lines (DAL): Bullish outside week
Mover of the Week: Align Technology
Align Technology (ALGN): S&P 500’s third-worst performer jumps after earnings & revenue beat.
- Tonight: Apple (AAPL), Alphabet (GOOGL), Qualcomm (QCOM), Ford Motor (F)
- Friday 2/3: Non-farm payrolls
- Wednesday 2/8: CVS Health (CVS) | Walt Disney (DIS), MGM Resorts (MGM)
- Thursday: 2/9: PepsiCo (PEP)
- No important data next week
Using the Platform
Platform tool of the week: Fibonacci retracement tool
Downloads available here.
Security futures are not suitable for all investors. To obtain a copy of the security futures risk disclosure statement Investment and Trading Disclosures Booklet – Futures.
Exchange Traded Funds (“ETFs”) are subject to management fees and other expenses. Before making investment decisions, investors should carefully read information found in the prospectus or summary prospectus, if available, including investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. Click here to find the prospectus.
Options trading is not suitable for all investors. Your TradeStation Securities’ account application to trade options will be considered and approved or disapproved based on all relevant factors, including your trading experience. See Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options. Visit www.TradeStation.com/Pricing for full details on the costs and fees associated with options.