The Nasdaq-100 fell 8.9 percent in December, its worst monthly drop this decade. Not surprisingly, seven of the 10 busiest symbols at TradeStation during the period were somehow associated with the tech-heavy index.
Here’s the top 10. Nasdaq-related symbols are marked with an asterisk (*):
- SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY):The market-tracking fund rose from second place in November.
- *Apple (AAPL): The smartphone giant slipped one notch.
- *PowerShares QQQ Trust (QQQ): The Nasdaq-tracking fund rose four places between November and December.
- *Amazon.com (AMZN): The e-commerce giant held its position from the previous month.
- General Electric (GE): The industrial giant rose one notch in December.
- *Nvidia (NVDA): The chip company slid from No. 3.
- *Netflix (NFLX): The streaming-video stock inched down two places.
- *PowerShares QQQ Trust (TQQQ): The Nasdaq-tracking fund slipped one spot from November.
- iPath S&P 500 VIX (VXX): The volatility-tracking ETN rose from No. 10 the previous month.
- *Facebook (FB): The social-media giant rose two notches to re-enter the top 10.
Companies exiting the list:
- Advanced Micro Devices (AMD): The chip maker slipped from No. 8 to No. 12.
- Costco (COST): The discount retailer dropped from No. 9 to to No. 30.