Don’s Notebook May 21, 2018
The Chicago Fed National Activity Index (CFNAI) is a monthly index that tracks overall economic activity and inflationary pressures.
- This national activity index — led by manufacturing and employment – displayed strength, posting a 0.34 in April following an upward revision of 0.32 in March.
- The index was expected to climb today offering a reminder of the strength of the April employment report
- The MSCI Asia Pacific Index slipped 0.2 percent, while
- Japan’s Topix index closed 0.1 percent lower with banks and insurers the biggest losers.
- In Europe, the Stoxx 600 Index was 0.4 percent higher by 5:45 a.m. as an earlier selloff in Italian stocks eased.
- German equity markets were closed for a holiday.
- S&P 500 futures pointed to a gain at the open,
- The 10-year Treasury yield was at 3.073 percent and
- Gold was lower.
Canadian Markets are closed for the Victoria Day holiday.
Micron Technology holds its annual analyst and investor meeting.