Don’s Notebook May 15, 2018
Two things to focus on today:
- The ex-auto ex-gas Retail Sales report released by the US Census Bureau which was a .3% increase. This is a glimpse at second-quarter consumer spending.
- The outlook readings in Empire State Manufacturers Survey showed new orders were very strong and provided a General Business Conditions Index number of 20.1 beating expectations.
European data: Economic growth in the euro area was confirmed at 0.4 percent in this morning’s second reading of first-quarter GDP.
- Germany’s economy grew at a slower-than-expected 0.3 percent.
- There were also signs of a slowdown in growth numbers from central and Eastern Europe.
- The U.K. wage data showed that workers had wage increases and unemployment held at a 43-year low of 4.2 percent, though productivity declined.
Earnings Reports today:
- Goodrich Petroleum, Home Depot, Eagle Materials, Virtusa, National Vision Holdings are among the notable listings reporting.